NREIP provides an opportunity for college students to participate in research at a Department of Navy (DoN) laboratory during the summer.
The goals of NREIP are to encourage participating college students to pursue science and engineering careers, to further their education via mentoring by laboratory personnel and their participation in research, and to make them aware of DoN research and technology efforts, which can lead to employment within the DoN.
NREIP is providing competitive research internships to approximately 800 college students this year. Participating students spend ten weeks during the summer conducting research at 44 DoN laboratories.
How it works
NREIP places academically talented college and graduate students with interest and ability in science and engineering as participants in Department of Navy laboratory research for ten weeks during the summer. Interns will be selected based upon academic achievement, personal statements, recommendations, and career and research interests.
Choose Your Labs
Apply by the Deadline
Receive Lab Decisions
Accept Your Placement
Embark on Your Next Adventure!
Applicants must be:
- Enrolled full-time at an accredited four-year college or university (See below for exceptions)
- Solely U.S. Citizens (See exceptions below)
- On track to acquire a minimum of 31 credits by the start of the internship (Eligibility will be determined by the number of credits accrued at the end of Spring 2021)
- Students graduating the spring semester before the internship or later (Winter graduates are not eligible)
- Majoring in subjects relevant to the research interests of the laboratories
- Students attending two-year colleges in relevant majors and who meet the credit requirements may be eligible at the laboratory's discretion. Those students should directly contact the laboratory of interest to determine eligibility
- Some labs make exceptions for Permanent Residents and Dual Citizens. Students should check individual lab pages for eligibility
- High school students taking college courses are not eligible but are invited to apply to our SEAP program
The internship has a duration of ten weeks (with the possibility of extending up to four additional weeks). Stipend levels will be determined by the student's years of participation in the NREIP program. Stipends will be paid bi-weekly via direct deposit. Stipends are as follows:
- New undergraduate student participants: $7,000
- Returning undergraduate students (students MUST have completed a full 10-week program in a prior year to receive this level): $8,500
- Graduate students (students must currently be in graduate school and taking graduate school courses to receive this level): $11,000